Brake rubbing

Talk about anything here...

Brake rubbing

Postby Tommyzoom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:28 am

Ive noticed that my breaks rub from cold...its loud enough to hear from inside...once warm the noise goes away...and is replaced by THE SQUEAL...lol....some trade off!!
Its only been doing this for about a week...going into Audi on Monday.

Audi will probably play the NORMAL CARD!...lol :oops:
Tommyzoom

Re: Brake rubbing

Postby Carrg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:45 am

New pads tho havent you mate??

Not bed in yet.
Ibis RS3 - Bose - Buckets - Black Ed - Privacy
VW California "Candy"!
Carrg

Postby Tommyzoom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Not sure what to make of it really..noise has only started about a week ago...4000 miles on clock.
Tommyzoom

Postby Carrg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:19 pm

So you havent had new pads??

Maybe just some debris?
Give them some heavy use.
Ibis RS3 - Bose - Buckets - Black Ed - Privacy
VW California "Candy"!
Carrg

Postby Tommyzoom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:36 pm

No new pads..tried the braking bit...its going in for sound problem anyway...so I will get them to check it out....I was just interested to ask you all.
Tommyzoom

Postby geek » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:28 am

I missed this one.

Just had front disks and pads replaced due to warping.

The old ones would rub from cold reversing out of the garage but would stop after applying the brakes once, happened from new. The replacements haven't done this yet with 250 miles on them...
geek

Postby R10T » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:40 am

I have noticed brake judder through the steering wheel when applying firm pressure to the pedal. It feels exactly the same as warped discs? The odd thing is that it's intermittent, does it for a day then goes away.
Either cold or when the brakes are warmed up? Tyre pressures and everything are fine.
Took it to Aberdeen Audi, but it was a day when it was not doing it (typical!). Wouldn't do it when I went out with the Technician for a run! Got the impression he though I was talking bollocks tbh.
They took it in to have a look but found nothing? Really annoying.
RS3 2011 - Black - Black Edition - Privacy - And those Black/Red Rims
R10T

Postby geek » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:15 am

R10T wrote:I have noticed brake judder through the steering wheel when applying firm pressure to the pedal. It feels exactly the same as warped discs? The odd thing is that it's intermittent, does it for a day then goes away.
Either cold or when the brakes are warmed up? Tyre pressures and everything are fine.
Took it to Aberdeen Audi, but it was a day when it was not doing it (typical!). Wouldn't do it when I went out with the Technician for a run! Got the impression he though I was talking bollocks tbh.
They took it in to have a look but found nothing? Really annoying.

Did they measure disk wear? If they measured zero run out then you don't have warped disks.

You could literally feel mine were farked to the touch; my new set having been bedded properly are billiard table flat and much more progressive.

They did though start squealing like bas@ards yesterday on a slow town stretch...gone again with a touch of heavy late breaking (working even at low speeds).

Tried to nab one of the buggered disks as a garage trophy....no joy though :-(

How do yours feel to the touch? If they are lumpy / ridged at regular intervals across the full radius get it back in and ask specifically to check for run out. Mine were measured as +1mm each side....

Master tech did a few break in runs and asked me to finish off (60 to 10 hard a dozen or so times with the brakes gently warmed first); he said you can tell a decent set of bedded brakes by a whitish edge to the disk, I didn't pay much attention to this but sure enough, did a quick wash yesterday and under close inspection there is a white finish to the very edge of the disk now.

If any of the more mechanically minded can educate me as to what that is it would be appreciated!
geek

Postby geek » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:16 am

On the tyre pressure front, are you checking pressures from cold? (Apologies if that is teaching the sucking of eggs)
geek

Postby R10T » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Yep, tyre pressures are checked from cold. I have a digital pressure gauge too.

When I left the car at Aberdeen Audi, the Master Tech said he would have a look and check the disks with a DTI. I have a 60 mile run to the dealer, the car was pretty dirty when I left it. When I went to collect it I just spoke to girly at the counter, she said they could find nothing wrong. I picked up the car and noticed it was still really dirty (thought the would have given it a wash!). I stopped at a filling station almost straight away where it was nice a bright and couldn't see any marks on the dirty wheels indicating they had actually had them off the car which I assume would be necessary to access the discs fully??

Like I said, I think the guy thought I was talking rubbish, especially with it being intermittent and they just let the car sit for the day?

Am I tied to the dealer I purchased from for the warranty work even with pre-owned? If not I will go elsewhere because I didn't really feel they did a full investigation into this in Aberdeen.
RS3 2011 - Black - Black Edition - Privacy - And those Black/Red Rims
R10T

Return to General